Sunday, April 17, 2016

Lucy at 2 Months


Lucy is already 2 months old! And we know time is only going to keep going this fast! I love this picture of Lucy because that's her typical expression. I'm trying to get her to smile in the picture and she's looking at me quizzically - whether she's interested or not impressed, I'm not sure. Our girl has changed a lot in the last month, in all good ways:

Lucy is an awesome sleeper at night! I've heard stories about newborns who sleep through the night and now I have one! I'm expecting it to change any day, but for a few weeks she's been sleeping from about 10pm to 6am or later! It's so wonderful, especially because I was having a rough time with her feedings at night. The only thing I can contribute it to is shortening her daytime naps, I wake her up after an hour and a half. She is hit or miss anyway with naps, so often on her own she only sleeps less than an hour or our schedule only allows her to sleep during running errands so she's in and out of sleep.

She's really happy now too, smiling and cooing and just loving any attention we give to her. Grandma Karen was in town visiting and her and Lucy just talked and talked to each other all day long:) She's put down to hang out in her bouncy seat, on the floor, on the bed, etc a lot and she's pretty happy. I get a little sad for her that she isn't held and talked to as much as I know she'd like to be - oh well, we're busy! Her smile is the best - it's big and easy to see. Really, just as long as you're talking to her and she's not starving or super tired. In fact, I can get her to hold off sleep a little if I need her to even though she's tired as long as I'm interacting with her and getting her to smile.

I attribute her improved mood to her digestive system maturing a bit - she still spits up but not nearly as much as she used to and other than spitting up she doesn't seems to have belly discomfort like she did her first six weeks. This improvement is good for her and has allowed us to enjoy her a lot more.

She weighed 9 lbs. 13 ounces (17th percentile) at her appointment, so although she seems SO big to us all of the sudden she's on the smaller end of average. She's lost a little more of her hair on the top and sides, but people continue to comment on how much dark hair she has (I don't think it's that much hair, so maybe it's just the darkness of it that people are noticing). That, or they comment on how big her eyes are or how strong she is (holding her head or her trunk well).

I love going on walks with her, it's great knowing she'll fall asleep quickly. I often will go on a walk with her in the evenings to help her get in one more short nap.

Lucy definitely seems to be doing a lot more than I remember my other babies doing this young. It could just be bad memory but I'm constantly thinking and asking her out loud, "don't you know you're only a tiny baby?!" Our friend Lindsay is pretty sure this means that Lucy is a genius... so maybe that's what it is!

I've thought a lot about how I would describe her personality and I haven't quite decided yet. Yes, she's happy, but it's more than just happy (I probably would have described June that way, and she's turned out to be my spunky extrovert), she's happy but serious too. Whatever it is, I'm excited to find out and get to know this sweet girl even more!

No comments: