Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Looking Back: 4th of July 2014

The 4th of July started out with my first 10k! It was pretty exciting and I was pretty proud. It almost didn't happen because I was injured a couple days before. I tried running the night before and still hurt but tried again the morning of and I actually was fine. I was nervous about running but Rob convinced me to do it - I was so glad he did because I didn't hurt at all during the race. 

I ran pretty much right past our house (and along the parade route) where Rob snapped this photo of me leading the pack. That's a big joke. I was just happy to be still smiling at this point in the race, a little over half way.

Yay! I did it!

I was initially nervous to run by myself (I've run my 5ks with Rob) but it was pretty cool to hang out at the finish line by myself and reflect for a few moments about my accomplishment. I don't even look too dead, huh.

Back home with my fans. I think I convinced Henry that I won the race.

The big event in Provo is the parade. Seriously, everyone attends this parade- and it's kind of lame and way too long. I think that maybe if you wanted to break into someone's house to steal all their belongings, during this parade would be a good time to do it. I did like that it was just a few feet from our house and I liked that it was good for photo-ops like this one. Almost a Norman Rockwell.


I was a tiny bit homesick these couple of days knowing that I was missing out on some of my favorite family/Seattle traditions. We learned, however, that there is a perk to being one of the few families without anything to do on the 4th of July: the water park is virtually empty! We didn't think about going until the afternoon and it was the least crowded, by far, that I've seen it. It was so awesome spending our last few hours of the day together there.



As much as I love the 4th of July, I don't care much for the firework part of it. And living in Provo where the huge loud aerial ones are legal made me a bigger ba-hum-bug about it. We're talking a fireworks out our window every evening for a week). Luckily Rob cared enough to find neighbors who were letting off fireworks that evening for Henry to enjoy it a bit.



It turned out to be a great holiday and I look forward next year. I'll probably even go back to the parade next year, since all of Provo is there anyway, I might as well! I'll be sure to lock my door next time in case anyone thinks of my idea!

No comments: